you too can join our community!
Make a pledge from €1 800…
to join us for one month, every year
(more or less, whatever suits you)
or invest for a yield up to 8%!
What's a coliving hub?
A shared home and workspace, where we can also share some of our purpose and learnings.
For a retreat to escape routine, as a workation to dig into projects, or as a base.
Be you an entrepreneur, remote worker, digital nomad, a creative, or anything else!
By embracing diversity and serendipity we create vitality in our lives. You've got your own independent lifestyle and need a house with workspace to match. At a coliving hub you have great common spaces and friendly faces all crossing paths.
There's always folks to whip up a soufflé with, watch a movie or even learn some reiki… Yet with varied spaces you're always productive, to do your best work, collaborate with our community, support member's ventures or even start your own!?
Learn about coliving at some of our favourites, Sun and Co in Spain, Nine in the Canaries and Playworking in Montenegro. But these are just rentals, we need new choices…
We're creating amazing new spaces—reinvigorating old ones!
Get closer to nature whilst remaining connected to the wider world.
Live affordably, renting or buying into lifelong use of properties as you are able.
Be part of a community that respects innovation and independence.
Support stronger ecosystems through regeneration in overlooked places.
Benefit from shared facilities (vehicles, cinema, tools, ice-cream maker, …).
Connect, learn, and take advantage of serendipitous opportunities.
Our purpose as a member owned co‑operative will be providing affordable co‑ownership and rental, giving us use of short and mid-term accommodations inclusive of coworking and more! With varied communal spaces, across multiple locations.
As participants in a dynamic ecosystem we share its opportunities whilst generating rental revenue as a social enterprise — reinvesting in hosting workshops, talks, activities and even festivals, enriching not just ourselves, but the wider community.
By doing it collaboratively, we reduce our footprints and enhance the effects.
What's the status?
The project really took off and gained significant support from all of you when our founder discovered an abandoned textile mill in Portugal for sale, which was shelved due to its rather significant scope as a first property, in favour of a smaller one also in Portugal. Yet the opportunity for which was lost over the first covid lockdown, with the agent informing it'd sold the day before the visit!
The project is now temporarily on hiatus, I am however keeping an eye out for a much more resonably acheived smaller first property to accommodate around a dozen great folks, in my familiar stomping ground of France🇫🇷 amongst the Cevennes hills, rivers, and little towns, or around the base of the Pyrénées. (Check some example properties.)
I will reach out to you all again in due course, and feel free to contact me directly: firstname.lastname@example.org. Once a first property is underway we'll look at doing something similar in a more southerly location to satisfy everyone.
Facilities to accommodate all of us…
With a choice of
microstudios, ensuite and basic rooms, or a 'pod' dorm for teams and groups. Plus of course many different shared spaces…
- dedicated coworking with fibre internet, both separate lively and quiet workspaces
- a library with privacy nooks, casual areas and lounge
- multiple station kitchen and dining for collaborative cookups
- optional serviced rooms, laundry and full-board mealplans
- address use and luggage storage for the (digital) nomads amongst you
- a minibus for communal trips
- pets and kids welcome with restrictions
We're running it together—to all have a stake!
🤝There's opportunities to be more involved — Jacob our founder is looking for co-founders.
Whether you participate as a co-owner, an investor, or simply visit on rental, you do so as a member of our cooperative society, functioning within the space as a do-ocracy. To join us make a pledge then once we've agreed our plans, you'll be invited to apply for our community shares… Why work from one place? Don't get stuck — make a habit of wider horizons!
(The following are indicative.)
Operational costs cover our recurring expenses for utilities, volunteers, and (importantly!) maintenance/renewals:
- ±€250 per month member expenses contribution
for any time with your shares; booking up to 6 months ahead
- €300 (pod) – €850 (plus) per month for rentals (mid-season)
with weekly cleaning; booking up to a couple of months ahead
Capital costs are what we're raising to purchase, renovate and fit-out the property, split between multiple shareholders:
- coliving shares, give use of any room and all facilities, at cost;
1 month every year for between around €1 700 in a pod, or €3 200 for an ensuite
- cohousing shares, give use of a private unit and all facilities, at cost;
around €30 000 for a microstudio (plus your own fitout and decoration)
- preference shares, give dividends for investors
paying up to 8% (cost-free stays?)
If you stay longer than your share or have none, you pay the standard rental rates. Shares are flexible, if you take a different type of room your time is adjusted. If you don't use your time, you can give to a friend, or trade it with other members.
Another way to consider how coliving shares work, is simply as a recurring discount on the rental rates for your stake.
- incorporated as a Co-operative Society in the UK for the mutual benefit of its members
- fractional co-ownership with community shares, returning their cost if you withdraw them*
- flexible booking with over 30% unallocated advance capacity
- year-round volunteer staff (with stipends) looking after maintenance, driving and some catering
- maintenance fund covers costs into the future to avoid bad surprises
- community fund from revenue surplus allows us to invest in good surprises — events and new facilities
- reduced impact and sustainability♻️ by virtue of being collective
- may expand as a network of multiple properties exchanging co-owner use
How does it compare?
A coliving hub offers many collective facilities, more flexibility and a dynamic community — versus sharing, renting or buying your own apartment. If you do not need these and can find community and workspace in other ways, then this kind of environment may not be a good match for you.Tell me more
It's easy to rent cheap private apartments for a few months or more in better locations, such as the Canaries, or to buy in Bulgaria. (One day we'll add a properties there!) If you're happy working from cafés or the apartment, the cost is comparable, but if you add a coworking membership the cost will be higher, however you've your own apartment and potentially a better location.
The ideal use for Hub House is as an annual retreat or base that you come back to between travels. Once we've more locations it'll be great for full time use too. 🥳
- come back every year (at different times!) to meet new folks and particpate in events
- stay some months to focus on work, freeing yourself to enjoy travels at other times
- if you're location independent, use as a base, storing seasonal clothes for when needed
- to have and decorate a space of your own, using cohousing as a homebase, traveling sometimes
- organise your own events here, including for your clients
- gather your remote team together for its annual retreat
- save money staying longer and spend more on shorter escapes elsewhere
- stay in cheaper apartments during travels, and come back for the community
- come to meet friends who can easily stay in the same place with you
- how you use a hub is up to you, if it can enable you to persue your best lifestyle…!
Say hi to our founder…
You can reach out to email@example.com anytime, and the questions page has a pile of other details including the different ways you can participate in the project. Anyone wishing to make a significant investment alongside me, is invited to be a cofounder.