Make a pledge from €1 800… to join us for a month, every year
(more or less, whatever suits you) or invest for an ~8% yield
Skip to updates ⬇︎
What's a coliving hub?
A shared home and workspace, where we also share some of our purpose and learnings.
For a workation to escape routine, as a retreat to dig into projects, or as a base.
Be you an entrepreneur, remote worker, digital nomad, a creative, or anything else!
By embracing diversity and serendipity we create vitality in our lives. You've got your own independent lifestyle and need a house with workspace to match. At a coliving hub you have great common spaces and friendly faces all crossing paths.
There's always folks to whip up a soufflé with, watch a movie or even learn some reiki… Yet with varied spaces you're always productive, to do your best work, collaborate with our community, support member's ventures or even start your own!?
We're creating amazing new spaces—reinvigorating old ones!
Benefit from shared facilities (cinema, bikes, workspaces, ice-cream maker, …).
Get closer to nature whilst remaining connected to the wider world.
Stay affordably, buying into use of properties as you are able.
Be part of community respecting innovation and independence.
Facilities to accommodate all of us…
- choice of accomdations — microstudios, ensuite, basic rooms or 'pod' dorms
- dedicated coworking — separate lively and quiet workspaces
- a library with privacy nooks, casual areas and lounge
- outdoor space, ideally more than a terrace, with sauna and firepit/bbq
- close to public transit and shops
- multiple station kitchen and dining for collaborative cookups
- address use and luggage storage for the (digital) nomads amongst you
- a minibus for communal trips
- strolls from the door and activities nearby
Our purpose as a member owned co‑operative will be providing affordable co‑ownership and rental, giving us use of spaces, growing across multiple locations.
As participants in a dynamic ecosystem we share its opportunities whilst generating rental revenue as a social enterprise — reinvesting in hosting workshops, talks, and activities, enriching not just ourselves, but the wider community.
By doing it collaboratively, we reduce our footprints and enhance the effects.
The original campaign
- an old mill in the Portuguese mountains with a direct train to Lisbon
- hundreds interested with 135 confirmed pledges (plus many more, see stats)
- I met the town council and some of us visited during a parsnip festival(!)
- ultimately rejected as too much work and risk for a first effort, also the umm pandemic…
The plan—part deux!
- now restarting in the south of France🇫🇷
- a less ambitious property, avoiding significant works, or partly usable
- participate in candidate selection with your votes!
- studios/cohousing less likely but see following…
A super appealing area is the lower Cévennes around Saint–Ambroix, lots to explore with the excellent Cèze and Ardèche river gorges, and (if pushing a bit further) the Pont du Gard, plus up into mountains. The towns of Andouze, Uzès and Alès. Plus there's public transport.
For contrast there's the little town of Lourdes at the base of the central Pyrénées, famous for pilgrimage (lots of empty hotels), just 15mins train from two great little cities, Tarbes and Pau, a funicular at the door up a little peak that's hosted MTB championships, with great hikes starting from 10mins away, plus proper mountains and skiing from 30mins. Even an airport 15min.
If you want to join any visits and to see more, do pledge and vote to join our Whatsapp group.
large and priceyamazing and rare
small and cheapwider choice
100% €198k 800m² mini-hub
- garden and massive unusual vaulted cave
- great region with diversity
- trainline reopening
- some apartments ready to use
- a couple of studios
- a neighbouring property for dedicated
- significant acquisition
It's cheap for acquisiton and there's no surprises. Property sales are falling with 900 agents closing last year and even many notaries unable to pay themselves, combined with just introduced renovation requirements for rentals which owners are reluctant to undertake (doesn't apply to collective use) thus prefer to sell. More to the point, I'm familiar with the country having done renovation here. Infrastructure is good, and everything runs like clockwork. Well, except when they're on strike…
How can you join-in?
- pledge confirming with €1
- vote on properties to visit and draw up plans
- founding members will form the co-op making share purchases for a deposit
- a group visit should be arranged
- when pledges and plans match, an acquisition vote will be taken
- those having a matching pledge will buy into the co-op with a 35% deposit on their stake
- an offer will be made for purchase
- the remaining 65% for stakes must be completed to conclude purchase
- all remaining backers will buy-in to fund the renovations
We're running it together—to all have a stake!
Whether you participate as a co-owner, an investor, or simply visit on rental, you do so as a member of our cooperative society, functioning within the space as a do-ocracy. To join us make a pledge then once we've agreed our plans, you'll be invited to apply for our community shares… Why work from one place? Don't get stuck — make a habit of wider horizons!
- incorporated as a Co-operative Society in the UK for the mutual benefit of its members
- fractional co-ownership with community shares, returning their cost if you withdraw them*
- flexible booking with over 30% unallocated advance capacity
- volunteer staff (with stipends) looking after maintenance, driving and some catering
- maintenance fund covers costs into the future to avoid bad surprises
- community fund from revenue surplus allows us to invest in good surprises — events and new facilities
- may expand as a network of multiple properties exchanging co-owner use
(The following are indicative.)
Operational costs cover our recurring expenses for utilities, volunteers, and (importantly!) maintenance/renewals:
- ~€250 per month member expenses for any time with your shares
- ~€300 (pod) – €850 (plus) per month for rentals (mid-season)
Capital costs are what we're raising to purchase, renovate and fit-out the property, split between multiple shareholders:
- coliving shares give use of any room and all facilities, at cost;
1 month every year for between around €1 800 in a pod, or €3 200 for an ensuite
- cohousing shares give use of a private unit and all facilities, at cost;
(plus your own fitout and decoration)
- preference shares give dividends paying up to 8% (cost-free stays?)
If you stay longer than your share or have none, you pay the standard rental rates. Shares are flexible, if you take a different type of room you get more or less time with your shares. If you don't use your time, you can give to a friend, or trade it with other members.
How does it compare?
A coliving hub offers many collective facilities, more flexibility and a dynamic community — versus sharing, renting or buying your own apartment. If you do not need these and can find community and workspace in other ways, then this kind of environment may not be a good match for you.Tell me more
It's easy to rent cheap private apartments for a few months or more in better locations, such as the Canaries, or to buy in Bulgaria. (One day we'll add a properties there!) If you're happy working from cafés or the apartment, the cost is comparable, but if you add a coworking membership the cost will be higher, however you've your own apartment and potentially a better location.
The ideal use for Hub House is as an annual retreat or base that you come back to between travels. Once we've more locations it'll be great for full time use too. 🥳
- come back every year (at different times!) to meet new folks and particpate in events
- stay some months to focus on work, freeing yourself to enjoy travels at other times
- if you're location independent, use as a base, storing seasonal clothes for when needed
- to have and decorate a space of your own, using cohousing as a homebase, traveling sometimes
- organise your own events here, including for your clients
- gather your remote team together for its annual retreat
- save money staying longer and spend more on shorter escapes elsewhere
- stay in cheaper apartments during travels, and come back for the community
- come to meet friends who can easily stay in the same place with you
- how you use a hub is up to you, if it can enable you to persue your best lifestyle…!