for a Cooperative
with our 687 community members…
membership opens in the new year
Just 203 more pledges at €1,700…
to join us every year for a month
(more or less, as you wish)
or invest to gain a yield up to 9%.
What's a coliving hub?
A shared home and workspace, where we can also share some of our purpose and learnings in life.
For a workation to escape routine, as a retreat to dig into projects, or as a longer-term base.
Be you an entrepreneur, remote worker, digital nomad, a creative, or anything else!
By embracing diversity and serendipity we create vitality in our lives. You've got your own independent lifestyle and need a house with workspace to match. At a coliving hub you have great common spaces and friendly faces all crossing paths.
There's always folks to whip up a soufflé with, watch a movie or even learn some reiki… Yet with varied spaces you're always productive, to do your best work, collaborate with our community, support member's ventures or even start your own!?
We're creating amazing new spaces, reinvigorating old ones!
Get closer to nature whilst remaining connected to the wider world.
Live affordably, buying into lifelong use of properties as you are able.
Be part of a community that respects innovation and independence.
Support stronger ecosystems with regeneration of overlooked places.
Benefit from shared facilities (vehicles, cinema, tools, ice-cream maker, …).
Connect, learn, and take advantage of serendipitous opportunities.
Our purpose as a member owned co‑operative is providing affordable co‑ownership and rental, giving us use of private accommodation inclusive of coworking, utilities and more! With many varied communal spaces, across multiple locations.
As participants in a dynamic ecosystem we share its opportunities whilst generating rental revenue as a social enterprise — reinvesting in hosting workshops, talks, activities and even festivals, enriching not just ourselves, but the wider community.
The regeneration of smaller towns and rural areas not only opens up affordable property for us, yet helps to restore life around. By doing it collaboratively, we reduce our footprints and enhance the effects.
Location #1: Covilhã, Portugal🇵🇹
- direct trains to Lisbon (€10!) and busses to Porto, both 3h30
- quiet little town with gardens, cafés and even some great restaurants
- yet also having a university and streetart festival
- impressive natural park reaching 2,000m
- mild winters 14–19°C (daytime) yet has a (tiny) ski station 30mins drive
- rivers, wild swimming and outdoor activities…
We'll add more properties in future so we all get choice amongst varied locations. Don't worry about languages, there'll always be folks around to help. 🙆♂️ (If you're not an EU citizen you'll need a visa, but we plan to add places outside the EU.)
It's not just about having an amazing space to get our work done, but also popping out for a break to welcoming towns and villages, escaping into a natural park and great wilderness, with hiking, horse riding, mountain biking, kayaking, wild swimming, skiing, and more(!) within reach.
We're running it together—to all have a stake!
Whether you participate as a co-owner, an investor, or visit on rental — you do so as a member of our cooperative society. To join us make a pledge then once we've agreed our plans, you'll be invited to apply for our community shares, else join us for the next… Why stay in one place? Make a habit to get away for a while!
Capital costs are what we're raising to cover our acquisition, renovation and fit-out for the property, split between two groups of shareholders. This will be undertaken in multiple phases over several years.
- 65% members, giving lifelong use of the hub's facilities, at cost
with shares at ~€1700 for a 1 month stay every year (standard ensuite)
- 35% investors, giving dividends
with preference shares paying up to 9% (for potentially cost-free stays)
Operational costs cover our recurring expenses for utilities, volunteers, and (importantly!) maintenance/renewals.
- ~€300/month contribution by members
during your share of time
- ±€500/month inclusive for rentals
the surplus on rentals pays our investors back, and contributes to our community fund
Running the project together, we can all make proposals and vote to make them happen!
We may also have cohousing providing exclusive use of a 55m2 studio, at €34,000 (excluding fitout) and dedicated rooms from €18,000. Please contact Jacob if you might be interested. You're free to rent it, keep it for your own use, or exchange time at other locations as you wish. It's an opportunity to downsize without loosing your own place nor your own style.
Facilities that accommodate all of us…
A choice of private rooms, from large dedicated studios to standard rooms all with ensuite showers. There's also 'pod' dorms for teams and groups. Plus of course more than a dozen different shared spaces throughout the property…
- dedicated ergonomic coworking with lively openplan and separate quiet workspaces
- large multi-purpose indoor event spaces for talks, workouts, yoga…
- year round garden, terraces, and glass conservatory for winter months
- two multiple station kitchens and dining for simultaneous use
- large living/cinema lounge plus a separate quiet library room
- pets and kids welcome but with restrictions
We're currently performing due diligence on our candidate properties, you can review the full property report for our lead candidate and signup for email updates.
InterludeThis video explores the annual streetart festival, and also gives some great glimpses around the area.
- incorporated as a Co‑operative Society in the UK for the mutual benefit of its members
- fractional co-ownership with community shares, returning their original value if you withdraw them*
- flexible booking with over 8 rooms unallocated
- stay longer than than your share use (at rental rates)
- may expand as a network of multiple properties exchanging co-owner use
- all rooms will be furnished with linens provided, and all common areas equipped
- optional serviced rooms, laundry and full-board mealplans
- minibusses for communal trips, plus bikes and electric scooters
- year-round volunteers (with stipends) looking after maintenance, driving and some catering
- storage of personal effects and use of address
- maintenance fund covers costs into the future for less surprises
- community fund from revenue surplus allows us to invest in good surprises — events and new facilities
- we expect to be able to have our own ♻️green energy with hydro and solar generation
If you stay longer than your share or have none, you pay the standard rental rates. Shares are flexible, if you take a different type of room your time is adjusted (about one third less time in a premium room, or twice as long in a pod dorm).
Another way to consider how shares work, is simply as a lifelong discount on the rental rates for your share, beyond which normal rates apply.Show me
How does it compare?
A coliving hub offers many collective facilities, more flexibility and a dynamic community — versus sharing, renting or buying your own apartment. If you do not need these and can find community and workspace in other ways, then this kind of environment may not be a good match for you.Tell me more
It's easy to rent cheap private apartments for a few months or more in better locations, such as the Canaries, or to buy in Bulgaria. (One day we'll add a properties there!) If you're happy working from cafés or the apartment, the cost is comparable, but if you add a coworking membership the cost will be higher, however you've your own apartment and potentially a better location.
The ideal use for Hub House is as an annual retreat or base that you come back to between travels. Once we've more locations it'll be great for full time use too. 🥳
- come back every year (at different times!) to meet new folks and particpate in events
- stay some months to focus on work, freeing yourself to enjoy travels at other times
- if you're location independent, use as a base, storing seasonal clothes for when needed
- to have and decorate a space of your own, using cohousing as a homebase, traveling sometimes
- organise your own events here, including for your clients
- save money staying longer and spend more on shorter escapes elsewhere
- stay in cheaper apartments during travels, and come back for the community
- come to meet friends who can easily stay in the same place with you
- how you use a hub is up to you, if it can enable you to persue your best lifestyle…!
Say hi to some of our ambassadors and board 🧚 [nominations open]
…and our founder
You can reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org anytime, and the questions page has a pile of other details including the different ways you can participate in the project, such as volunteering. Anyone wishing to make a significant investment alongside me (e.g. for cohousing), is invited to become a cofounder.
Our values… we don't believe
in believing too much!
Let's learn from and support each other.
We encourage diversity. In our roles, places we live and people we know. Without judgement. Dynamic ecosystems brim with serendipity.
We enable deconcentration. Spending money where it makes a difference, away from big metros. Benefitting alongside our neighbours.
We embrace dynamism. Investigating the unfamiliar, creating resilience in ourselves, uncovering opportunities for all. We won't be left behind.